Is today earth day? What are earth day tips? These are the questions may pop-up in your head if you are a fledgling environmentalist. These questions will arise if you apprehended that our mother nature is really in danger.
Earth Day is an annual event. Environmentalists along with other nature lovers celebrate the day on the 22nd of April each year. The purpose is to commemorate the inception of the modern environmental movement in 1970.
Earth day ideas
The idea for a national day to educate people about environment first came to Earth Day founder Gaylord Nelson, a U.S senator from Wisconsin. The senator got a shock after witnessing the ravage resulted from the 1969 massive oil spill in Santa Barbara, California.
Then, student anti-war movement was raging in the United States. Senator Nelson realized one thing. If he could infuse student’s anti-war sentiment with the environmental pollution issue it would turn into a national political agenda. So, he announced the idea for a “national teach-in on the environment” to the mainstream national media. Then, he persuaded Pete McCloskey, a conservation-minded Republican congressman to work along with him and recruited Denis Hayes from Harvard as national coordinator. Hayes built a committee of 85 members to promote the events across the united states. The date April 22 came into light as the Earth day since it was falling between Spring break and Final Exams.
Earth day tips
Initially, the goal of Earth day is making your environment conscientious. Below are simple and easy tips to help you go green, protect the mother nature, save money and make every day Earth Day.
- Join Earth Day Network’s campaign to stop plastic pollution
- Lessen your carbon footprint
- Plant a tree or donate a tree
- Participate in a beach, local park clean up the program
- Use environment -friendly and non-toxic cleaning products
- Stop using inefficient incandescent light bulbs. Instead, use more efficient CFLs or LEDSs. Use of these lights will reduce your carbon footprint by 450 pounds a year
- Keep your tires properly inflated to get better gas mileage.
- Change your automobile’s filter regularly
- Stop driving gas-guzzler SUV (sports utility vehicle). Ride your bike, use public transport and drive an electric or hybrid car.
- Whenever possible teleconference instead of traveling.
- Refrain from using disposable plastics, particularly single-use plastics like bottles, bags, and straws
- Recycle paper, plastic, and glass.
- Donate your old clothes and home goods as charity instead of throwing them out.
- Use cloth towels instead of paper ones
- Read documents from the Internet instead of printing them
- Use reusable bottles and mugs for water and coffee
- Buy reusable bags when you shop
- Cultivate vegetables in your own organic garden
- Consume organic food to keep your body
- Reduce your meat appetite to curb carbon emissions from the livestock industry
- Repair or change leaky faucets and shower heads
- When not in use, turn off and unplug electronics including your computer at night.
- Use solar energy to generate electricity by installing a solar panel on your roof
- Use energy efficient appliances and electronics
Earth Day theme
To this end, Earth Day has been celebrated annually for almost 50 years. Each year the day features a theme. The theme in 1970 (when this movement was first initiated) was “teach-in on the environment”. Below are themes of the different years of the last decade
|2018||End Plastic Pollution.|
|2017||Environment and climate literacy|
|2016||Trees for the earth|
|2015||Water wonderful world and clean earth-Green earth|
|2013||The face of climate change|
|2012||Mobilize the earth|
|2011||Clear the Air|
|2009||How Do You Get Around|
|2007||Be kind to the earth|
Earth day’s importance
The importance of Earth day’s lies in its goal. The goal of initiating earth day movement was educating mass people about environmental pollution and garnering political support for environmental protection. Since then, we have learned a lot about environmental pollution and its impact on the earth.
Earth day’s significance can also be realized that it helps the environmental movement to win 48 significant accomplishments in the last 48 years. Below is a list of its achievements (starting from 1970).
|1970||Environmental Magna Carta|
|1972||Notorious Toxic Chemical Banned|
|1972||Cleaning Up Rivers|
|1972||Marine Sanctuaries Created|
|1974||Safe(r) Drinking Water|
|1974||Getting the Lead Out of Gas|
|1975||Global Agreement on Endangered Species|
|1978||Love Canal Causes National Outcry|
|1980||Superfund Program Launched|
|1980||Vast Alaskan Lands Protected|
|1982||Saving More Whales|
|1986||A Civil Action|
|1987||Plugging the Ozone Hole|
|1987||Cleaning up Sewage|
|1988||Cleaning Up Medical Waste|
|1989||Get the Asbestos Out|
|1990||Clearing the Air|
|1992||Rio Earth Summit|
|1993||Erin Brockovich Wins Her Case|
|1993||Green Building Takes Off|
|1995||Gray Wolves Reintroduced to Yellowstone|
|1995||Bald Eagle Recovery|
|1997||Early Climate Agreement|
|2001||Roadless Areas Protected|
|2002||California Goes Solar|
|2002||Cradle to Cradle Is Published|
|2003||Electric Cars Get Cool|
|2006||Al Gore’s Movie|
|2007||Rise of Walking|
|2007||Big Green Apple|
|2009||Massive Marine Monument|
|2010||Protecting the Atlantic Coast|
|2012||Dams Come Down|
|2017||Tougher Ozone Standards|
|2018||Species Show Recovery|
The great lesson the earth day taught us over the last 48 years is that we need this green planet if we are to survive as a species. Had it not it started back in 1970, we did not know what irreversible damage we are inflicting on the environment. We continued to pollute air, water, soil and the result would simply be an earth that is not habitable.